Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili

Monday:  4 mile run, 20 minutes yoga
Tuesdsay:  8 mile treadmill
Wednesday:  4.7 mile treadmill
Friday:  13 miles treadmill
Saturday:  2 miles treadmill

Total Miles:  31.7

Yes that was me running a half marathon on the treadmill in the basement last Friday.  It actually was not that bad - Gina was home convalescing from a terrible food day and I didn't mind being in the basement in case she needed something.  The two hours actually passed by fairly quickly.  What did I do?  Well, I listened to my ipod and broke up the run into sections.  Seven miles, bathroom break, three more miles, boredom break, and then a final three miles.   By the time I was finished I was devoid of deep thoughts and that, my friends, was lovely. 

There is not much more to report on the fitness front.   I failed miserably at yoga last week when I attempted a different instructional you tube video.  I shall not name names, but my back did not appreciate the morning stretch that this instructor beckoned me to do.  I hobbled to the cabinet and took a naproxen and hoped for the best.  It has now been a week and things feel normal again.  Whew.

Anyways, I wanted to share this great vegetarian chili recipe I found in the Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas.  It was wonderful and easy! 



Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili   (vegan and serves 6)

2 medium-large sweet potatoes
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 or 3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
One 32-ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
One 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
salt

1.  Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until just firm.  When cool, peel and cut into 1/2 inch dice.  Set aside.
 2.  Heat oil in large soup pot.  Add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until golden.  Add the red pepper, beans, tomatoes, chiles, cumin, and oregano.  Bring to simmer.  Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.  Add the sweet potatoes and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender.

3.  Season lightly with salt.  Garnish with cilantro if desired.


For more on Nava check out the website:   www.vegkitchen.com