Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ouch! My Toe!

I have a finicky toe that occasionally gives me a bit of trouble.  I'm guessing it's some type of neuroma.  It's kinda sorta always there but yesterday was the most it has ever bothered me.  I ran on the treadmill Monday and Tuesday while watching The Bucket List.  Maybe I was not paying attention to my form (ha ha I know - do I actually have a running form?!)  but by Tuesday night it was tingling and by Wednesday morning it really hurt to walk.  I gimped around during work and then eventually took an aleve.  I soaked it in a big bucket of epsom salts and warm water and stayed off it as much as possible.  I am a BIG believer in nipping injuries in the bud.  The minute I feel something going haywire, I try to fix it ASAP.  So today I am happy to report that Mr 4th toe on the right foot is feeling much better.  In a little bit I will treadmill in a pair of New Balance shoes that have a super wide toe box.  So wide that it bothers me and I don't like the way it feels, but today they will be the ticket.  I hope!

I have to give a big shout out to my sister-in-law, Linda, who ran ten miles on the treadmill yesterday!  Her longest run ever.  I swear that girl is going to be chasing me down at Columbus this year!  She plans on doing the half marathon.  She has made the trip from Dayton to Columbus for a couple of my marathons there and two years ago she jokingly said that maybe she'd do the half someday.  She has really stuck to her goal and is well on her way to achieving it.  I say - you go girl!  I won't forget last summer when she ran her first 5K with us in Hudson.  I felt like such a proud momma with Gina, Abby, Aunt Linda and Uncle Frank all out there on the course.  Jerry ran too but he was way ahead of us!  That particular race benefits research for Pancreatic Cancer and it is my favorite local 5K.  Last year Gina and Abby's first grade teacher passed away from PC and Frank and Linda had lost a really great friend to it as well.  It was a great day for all of us.  It's funny how a 3-mile race can be so packed with emotions.

I've spent the morning trying to clean out my email inbox which had passed 2000 some time ago.  I am also trying to organize the kitchen items that are now misplaced due to our new refrigerator being taller than we thought hence necessitating the removal of the two cabinets above it!  I've also tried to eliminate counter clutter and have removed a dozen or so coffee cups from our inventory.  I don't know how we end up with soooooo muuuucccchhhhh stttuuuuuffffffff!

How about the Olympics?  I've really enjoyed the nightly coverage - the blood, the vomit, the spectacular crashes.  Every event leaves me speechless - how do they do that?!   Half the time I have to close my eyes because I can hardly stand how incredibly intense it is!  I will definitely be sticking to marathon running.