Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week in Review 2/14/10 - 2/20/10

Sunday:  6 miles on treadmill
Monday:  1 hour yoga
Tuesday:  6 miles on treadmill
Wednesday:  30 minutes yoga
Thursday:  5 miles outside (WooHoo!)
Friday:  4 miles outside
Saturday:  4 miles outside

Total Running Miles:  25

After blogging about my toe on Thursday I looked out the window and realized it was too nice of a day to run on the treadmill.  I did my old standby winter trick of driving the 0.3 miles to the bike path parking lot to avoid the piled up snow and ice on the sidewalk.  This sort of thing makes Jerry cringe but I just had to do it.  It felt so good to be outside!  The sky was blue, the birds were chirping, but the best part was seeing lots of my old bike path buddies.  There are a hardy few that walk the path year-round and I have grown so accustomed to seeing them.  I've missed the feeling this year of being out there in the worst of the weather and then looking ahead to see another crazy person coming at me.  It was nice to make eye contact, smile, wave and enjoy the sights and sounds of nature this time of year.  I am hoping that from now on there will be more outdoor runs than treadmill runs.  The treadmill served its purpose though - I feel pretty strong and the toe only bothered me a bit.

I practically got on my knees and begged Abby to join me outdoors but she did not agree.  I'm pretty sure she does not want to be seen in public running with me anymore.  That sort of bums me out but I understand.  Instead Jerry and I ran together for 8 miles and then we all took a great walk at South Chagrin with Mia.  That was wonderful and we even saw a Berner pup about 5 months old.  There has been much discussion lately about when we will get another Berner.  It's such a huge commitment.  I think it will be between 2 to 5 years, but you just never know.

We are still enjoying the Olympics alot.  I swear the best part is that I get to hear the words "Lake Placid" several times every night!  This afternoon we all sat and watched a great show covering the 1980 USA vs Russia hockey game.  I can't believe it has been 30 years since that all played out.  I remember sitting in our living room and watching that game!  On all of our 9 trips to Lake Placid we enter the skating arena and sit in the stands where that game was played.  I swear there is something magical in that place that makes the hair on your neck stand up straight. 

On Sunday, Valentine's Day, we did a total splurge and went to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner!  I suppose it doesn't matter that we had salad too.  The rest of the week was pretty healthy:  Jerry grilled a turkey tenderloin that we served with potato wedges; then it was lentil casserole and grilled veggie sandwiches; baked potato soup with rolls; tuna on english muffins and pasta salad; and my favorite barley veggie chili with cornbread.   I also went wild at Heinens one afternoon that just felt too dark and gray - I came home with bags and bags of fruit and challenged the girls to start eating fruit every single day after school.  So far they have done really well and something about the extra fruit sitting around makes it seem more summer-ish around here!