Friday, April 9, 2010

Goals for Tomorrow

Tomorrow we will all get up and head to Strongsville for the Spring Classic Half Marathon and 5K.  I will run the half marathon while Jerry, Gina and Abby run in the 5K.  It looks to be a great day in the weather department and for the most part we are ready!

I have only run three previous half marathons.  In 2003 I ran my first half at the Buckeye Half Marathon in Peninsula.  I finished in 1:52.  It was the first time I ever received a medal for any type of athletic event!  I was 37 years old and smiled like a little kid with that medal around my neck.  Two months later I ran the Fall Classic Half Marathon with Jerry.  He dragged me through the course and we finished in 1:48.  In my log book I only wrote one word - OUCH!  In the last mile I had visions of serving him with divorce papers.  The third half marathon was the Buckeye Half again in 2008.  Jerry and I went together but had no plans to take a single step of the race in tandem.  I finished that one in 1:56.

Tomorrow I will shoot for something between 1:55 and 2:00.  No major goals, definitely never a PR.  I will view it as a chance to practice pacing strategy and positive thinking.

I am really excited for Abby!  Her running is coming along beautifully.  Her previous 5K from last summer was a 26-something.  I think she can crush that one without a doubt!

Gina's been struggling with her running.  Her exercise-induced asthma is exacerbated by the pollen and there has been lots of wheezing, groaning, cramping, and complaining during the runs we've taken together.  I know it's hard and I'm super proud of her for trying to get ready for this race.  Jerry will run with her in case her lungs do something nasty and together they will make their way to the finish line.  I'm kind of bummed I won't see their race but I hope to hear the nitty gritty details all the way home.