Friday, April 16, 2010

Time to be a Spectator

This weekend it is my turn to spectate and encourage Jerry as he participates in the Forget the PR 50K ultramarathon in Mohican State Park.  He did this race last year but the girls and I did not go.  This year it seemed like a fun way to spend a weekend so we have a reservation at the Lodge (with a greatly reduced rate thanks to their Stays for A's program where they will discount the rate $10 for every A on your child's report card).  On the way there we want to drive through Kenyon College where Gina will be attending a swim camp in June.  We've done some preliminary research on where to have dinner to accommodate our vegetarian needs and we are thinking we will dine at Malabar Inn.  The weather looks good and the pet sitter is arranged to look after the dog and two cats.

Abby had her first track meet yesterday!  She clocked a 6:53 in the 1600 (that's one mile) and a 3:12 in the 800.  The uniform choice is ridiculous.  She's the one in blue.  I love watching her run and admire her tenacity.  I think she is mastering the art of a well-paced race.  The whole middle school team is very talented for a bunch of 7th and 8th graders.  Our fastest boy went a 5:10 in the 1600!  The fastest girl went 6:15.  OF course I really only pay attention to the distance events but the sprinters did a great job too - I'm just not so familiar with their times!

Meals this week have so far included barley chili, eggplant parmigiana, veggie loaf from the freezer, and avocado/rice salad served with cheese and tomato on English Muffins!  Everyone was wrinkling their faces at the English Muffin idea but it was quick and pretty darn tasty.  Dinners are tricky now because Gina needs to eat early so her stomach can settle before 6:30 swim team practice.  Abby prefers to eat a little later since she has track practice or a meet in the afternoon.  So in addition to trying to plan healthy, not-too-expensive meals I also need to keep in mind that it might be served over a 2-hour span.  Tonight I'll cook up some pasta with veggies for Jerry to feast on AND I think we can all sit at the table and enjoy a meal together!  Yea!

I'm excited for all the runners going to Boston this weekend for Monday's Boston Marathon!  I REALLY hope to be there one day.  I will be getting text message updates for two of my running friends and then anxiously awaiting results on the others.  I am cheering for Ryan Hall to win the men's race.  Meb winning NYC Marathon in November was wonderful, but Ryan crossing first in a major marathon would just make my day!  I love that he is forthright about his beliefs and that he uses running to glorify God.  Go Ryan!