Tuesday, April 6, 2010

To Ham or Not to Ham

Monday:  1 hour yoga (1/2 with Gina)
Tuesday:  4 mile run, 2.5 mile run with Gina
Wednesday:  6 mile run
Thursday:  2.5 mile run with Gina, 3 mile walk with Abby, Jerry and Mia
Friday:  5 mile run, 5 mile run with Abby
Saturday:  3.6 mile run, 2.5 mile run with Gina

Total Running Miles:  28.6

Abby got in lots of running at track practice so I tried to get Gina out a few times to get ready for the 5K coming up soon.  Jerry seems to be always running and getting ready for his 50K.  I've been finding myself somewhat bewildered as to how to get it all done and ever so thankful that I am not trying to prepare for a full marathon.

The 10-mile run on Friday was one of the toughest training runs I can remember.  It was HOT outside and I was just not acclimated to this freakishly warm Ohio spring weather.  Since I was going to do two laps of a 5-mile loop (Old Hickory) I decided against carrying water which proved to be a mistake.  My brain was sort of thick after several insomnolent nights.  Within one mile from home I was dying for water.  I finished the loop and returned home to pick up Abby.  She was ready to roll and I was scared!  I downed some water but I was really feeling shot after only half my run.  We started out and I told her she could go on ahead and wait for me at the school.  It is just so frustrating to watch her little legs cruise away from me while I plod on at my old-lady pace.  Long story short - she went out too fast so we struggled in silence until Mitkarian parkway when we happily ran into Jerry.  He was about 18 miles into his 22 mile run.  I swear I have never been so happy to see him in my life!  He had WATER!  Abby and I proceeded to drain his water bottle and then the 3 of us ran up through the woods until Jerry split off for the rest of his trail run.  Abby and I made it home and ran straight to the freezer for Edy's frozen fruit bars!  Lesson learned:  when it's hot you must carry water......duh.

We pondered the Easter menu ad nauseum.  We could not decide whether or not to include ham in the menu.  In the end we did buy a small Honeybaked Ham which went uneaten by all except Jerry.  Another lesson learned:  when your family is transitioning to a vegetarian diet best not to waste money on Honeybaked Ham!

The Easter Menu ended up to include above-mentioned ham, 3-cheese macaroni and cheese; green beans tossed with buffalo mozzarella, chives, olive oil; rolls, coleslaw, and deviled eggs.  We had an amazing time at church teaching saturday night and then returning for early service on Sunday.  We spent easter afternoon strolling through South Chagrin up and down the hills.  It was really a great day!