Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Love Lentils!

My Grandma used to make the best lentil soup!  I always loved the earthy, comforting taste of it.  I could open a can of Progresso Lentil soup and eat the whole thing -warm or cold, doesn't matter.  I came across this recipe a few months ago in a vegetarian cook book and it has become one of our favorite dishes.  It's super easy comfort food at its finest.

Lentil and Rice Casserole
1 cup uncooked rice (brown or white - I mix it up)
1 cup dried lentils
1 cup chopped onion
32 oz vegetable/chicken broth
1 tbsp dried italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 8-oz pkg shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat casserole dish with cooking spray.  Combine all ingredients, mix well.  Pour into dish and bake, covered for 1.5 to 2 hours.

In the last post I wrote about our new hiking supplies.  Everything got tested out on Mother's Day during a short hike of Wetmore Trail leading to the goat farm that Jerry has been telling us about for years.  It was a wonderful way to spend the day - splashing through several stream crossings to make sure the waterproof Gortex boots kept the girls feet dry (they did!).  Gina spoke to the goats and we all enjoyed being close to farm animals again.  Jerry and the girls then treated me to an awesome homemade Thai stir-fry with so many veggies it was unbelievable!  It was so nice to watch someone else do all the washing and chopping and cooking and cleaning up!  Of course the Pièce de résistance had to be the chocolate lava cakes that ended the meal.  Heavenly, warm, gooey, delicious chocolate..........Thank you one and all for a great day!  Oh and the handmade cards with lots of writing inside were just what I wanted and that LUSH sandstone soap - you know it makes me happy!

So now we are looking forward to Sunday when I will run the half marathon in Cleveland.  I hate to say it's no biggie, but honestly I am just viewing it as a chance to run in a crowd and enjoy the day that God brings on.