Wednesday, May 26, 2010

They're Trying to Kill Me

Last night I went for a trail run with Jerry and Abby.  This shouldn't be much of a big deal since this whole blog is about family fitness and doing things together, but I swear they are trying to kill me!

Actually I have said that about Jerry for a very long time, but now I seriously think Abby is in on it too!  When it comes to Jerry I have fond memories of floating in Lake Erie while trying to overturn a capsized Hobie.  I remember the extremely narrow trail carved into the side of a mountain we hiked in Glacier National Park on our "honeymoon."  I remember being on the back of the tandem  with loaded panniers careening downhill into Fort Ticonderoga at about 50 mph.  Oh, I know he loves me but seriously, come on........

So even though it was over 80 degrees I agreed to go with them last night to Liberty Park.  Within 30 seconds of the run I already had a stomach cramp and my legs felt super heavy.  Ugh!   The two of them hung together running effortlessly while I choked and groaned behind them.  I could occasionally see them look over their shoulders to see just how far back I was.  I hung on though and it turned out to be a great run!  They moved through the mud and downhills much faster than I dared, but I am thinking if I can hang with them this summer maybe I will really be greatly improved by the fall marathon.

Later in the evening, Abby was getting things ready for her trip to Cedar Point today.  I heard her to say to no one in particular, "That run felt really good." 

In an effort to avenge myself, I did a little research and discovered that the annual footrace up Whiteface Mountain is going to be held while we are there next month.  I knew Jerry could not say no.  Unfortunately, they do not provide a ride back down so I guess I will just have to drive up instead of run along with him.  Maybe next year we could run it together since Gina will most likely have her license to drive!!??  Just kidding - I am not sure what would be scarier:  the thought of her driving up a mountain or the two of us running 8 miles uphill together.   I'm scared just thinking about both of those options!