Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Week in Review 3/21/10 - 3/27/10

Sunday:  4 mile run, 3 mile walk with Abby
Tuesday:  4 mile run
Wednesday:  12 mile run
Thursday:  20 minutes yoga
Friday:  6 mile run
Saturday:  4 mile run

Total Running Miles:  30

The 12-miler was really nice and I feel good about doing a half marathon on April 10.  It has been really nice to not have to try to work in long runs for a spring marathon.  The past week was full of events that left my head swirling.  Suffice it to say that the running was great therapy. 

Life in the kitchen was also busy.  Last week was super simple, but this week I somehow made a list of time-consuming meals.  There was lots of shopping and prep work, but we had some mighty tasty dinners.  The only meat product came in the form of beef broth for the french onion soup Jerry made for us on Sunday.  That was followed by pasta with veggies with garlic breadsticks;  Soy (fake chicken) sandwiches and potato salad; wraps with hummus and falafel (a first for me to make) and sweet potato wedges; bruschetta and breaded zucchini sticks; and my all-time favorite veggie loaf made with lentils and veggies and cheesy goodness. 

It seems that as a family we are definitely headed in a more meatless way of life.  About a week ago Jerry and I went out for a walk with the dog.  When we returned we were met by Abby in the kitchen looking distraught.  She told us that while we were gone Gina had watched a video about meat production in the US.  Apparently it was quite graphic and disturbing. Abby tried to comfort Gina as best she could and now the two them really are taking the vegetarian thing to the next level.  They have asked me to pack their lunches as the school offers little in the way of meat-free options.  I thought my lunch-packing days were over but it seems  I have a few years left!  I have always said that eating healthy is hard work, but in my opinion it is so worth the effort.