Thursday, March 18, 2010

Coffee, Tea, Vitamin D?

Last week I had my yearly exam with my gynecologist.  She is the 4th ob/gyn I've had over my life and I really like her.  I never feel like she's rushing me out the door and she seems to hear what I say concerning my health and history.  I only see her once a year but I think it's really important to feel comfortable at that very important appointment.  My previous doc could have been dubbed "Ugliest Doctor in Cleveland" which is kind of good when he's your gyno but it was so bad it actually distracted me as I tried to figure him out!

As I was driving to her office it dawned on me that I had been rushing around and not even really paying attention to if there was anything I needed to talk to her about.  I spend most of my mental energy on other people and their issues.  I made a quick little list in my head - um I don't seem to have the energy that I used to, I'm kinda achy, I seem to gain a pound or two a year, etc etc.  I'm sure she hears the same thing patient after patient, day after day.

The appointment went pretty much as I expected but I was surprised to have her tell me that I should start taking vitamin D.  I have heard some of the buzz lately and have glanced at a few news articles but I haven't done any hardcore research on the topic.  I'm not a big fan of supplements or pills so I tend to avoid anything that says "take this and you will be healed and live to be 100."  She rattled off a long list of things that vitamin D is supposed to be helpful for.  Achiness, depression, lack of energy, it is good for breast cancer prevention, high blood pressure, asthma, oh the list went on and on.  I almost stopped on the way home to buy some so I could start immediately; however, I wanted to do a little google research on my own.

I discovered a lot of interesting websites and information.  I particularly like this one at Medical News Today.  I got in the car and drove to Walgreens where I found the last two bottles on the shelf (it was BOGO so I had to get two).  Apparently lots of other people are considering supplementing with vitamin D.  I seriously wanted to pop one in the car but I waited till I got home.  So we'll see if I feel any different in a few weeks!  Most importantly I don't think it is going to hurt anything or cause any side effects.  I'd like to think I could get all the vitamin D I need from the sun but just in case I will continue to take it in pill form.

The only other supplements I use are a probiotic and flax oil.  I have been taking flax oil for about five years.  I use a blend from Barleans called Essential Woman.  I mix it into yogurt every morning, add some fruit and kashi grains and call it breakfast.  It seems to keep me a bit more emotionally balanced throughout the monthly cycle.  If you think I am crazy, please ask my family what happens when I stop taking it!  I can't buy it locally anymore so I have to order it online but it is well worth it.  I swear Jerry and the girls would drive to Canada to buy it for me if they had to!