Thursday, March 4, 2010

Poor Porky

Porky is one of the many names we have created for our golden retriever.  Her AKC registered name is Bella Mia, but over the years we have resorted to calling her many other things, some of them not so nice.  She was plain old Mia for a long time and then Jerry lovingly bestowed the name "Dorkus" on her.  Dorkus turned into to Dorky, which rhymes with Porky and now she just wags when we say anything in a high squeaky voice.

A few weeks ago I wrote about her adventure chasing the coyote through the backyard.  Her paw was bleeding a bit at the nail bed when she came in after that, but it stopped and it didn't seem to really bother her.  I noticed though that she licked it all the time.  I finally got a good look at it the other day and decided she needed to go to the vet.

The vet visit was a big long stressful event.  She dislikes going to the vet even on the very best day.  I knew this visit would involve bloodwork for her medication renewal and lots of poking around at her paw.  Abby agreed to come with me for moral support.  The vet decided to sedate her and remove the nail saying it was too long to cut, etc etc.  It was also infected.  She apparently did well during the sedation and we picked her up a half hour later. Here is how she looks with her bandaged paw and elizabethan collar.  Not a happy camper.

As always, Dr Gilbert is tending to the wounded.  He is such a curious cat.  It is going to be a little bit crazy until Saturday keeping the bandage dry considering the enormous amount of snow and wetness in our backyard.  Press-n-Seal wrapped around the bandage is doing a great job so far.

So even though yesterday was a gorgeous, sunny, almost-spring day, I could not manage even the smallest of runs or exercise.  The day was packed with work and the vet appointment, then dinner, filling out the class ring form, and helping Gina study for a spanish quiz.  Some days are like that but it still made me irritated.  Sensing my growing bad mood, Jerry skipped his planned evening run and cleared an area in the backyard for Mia.  I'm hoping for a good long run today and a much needed trip to the grocery store.  If I manage those two things I will be satisfied with my day.