Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 10, 1989

Twenty-one years ago today Jerry and I went on our first date!  It's so hard to believe that I have now known and loved him for 21 of my 43 years.  Bizarre....really bizarre.

Every year Gina and Abby ask us what our first date was so here goes (at least this is what I remember!)  The weather was wonderful!  This is what happens when you take two country kids and put them together - the first thing we report is the weather for the day!  I remember it because it was almost 80 degrees and really unusually warm.  I drove home from working at Cleveland Clinic in my "Little Blue" Acura Integra with the window down and had to exit 90East because of an accident.  I made the drive to my apartment in Euclid along Lake Shore Blvd full of anticipation for the big date with Jerry that night.

He picked me up and I was relieved to see he had a normal, nice working SUV!  It was a Chevy though and I was from a Ford family but I had already broken the rule with my Acura so it shouldn't matter too much.  We went to Shooters on the west bank of the Flats in Cleveland and had a really nice dinner.  He even paid for the whole thing which was remarkable considering my last few boyfriends were not really all that generous.  From there we strolled to Club Coconuts where we proceeded to dance the night away.  This is the part where Gina and Abby drop their jaws to the ground and stare in disbelief.  Yes, we danced and no one kicked us out or anything for our bad dancing.  We laughed and had a great time.

Upon arriving at my apartment door, #1413 of the Americana, the world's smallest apartment ever, he leaned over and gave me a kiss and said goodnight.  It was pretty much the perfect date and I went inside my apartment realizing that this one was different - in a very very good way!

The next morning we met up for a walk through Euclid Creek Reservation and it has pretty much been continual adventure from there!  We've had our ups and downs, both figuratively and literally, but I Would Not Change A Thing.