Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cabin Fever Busters


It's no big surprise that cabin fever has been setting in around our house.  People get tired, grumpy, and generally lack motivation.  We just happened to land on a great PBS show on Hummingbirds the other night.  You can see by the photo that we humans were not the only ones who enjoyed the sounds of summer!  There was something truly magical happening just by hearing the birds, seeing the colorful flowers and enjoying scenes of nature in the summer season.  Gilbert wanted a front row seat and even the laughter he brought about helped to diminish the cabin fever around us. 

The other thing I did to lessen the gloom of winter was to book our "real cabin" in the Adirondacks for June.  They call them cabins but it is really a beautiful 3-bedroom, 2-bath house with all the amenities one could hope for - including a beautiful view of Whiteface Mountain.  It is there I did my first real yoga on www.yogatoday.com!  Every time I do triangle pose I still hope that I will open my eyes to see that gorgeous scene from the cabin's front window.  Now I can start counting the weeks until we are northbound again.  Going in June has its pros and cons.  The cons are obviously there can still be some cool weather and we are guaranteed to have some black flies on our hikes.  The lake will be too cold to swim in, but we can still enjoy sticking our feet in for awhile.  The pros are that we will only have to share the hiking trails with a handful of others and there should be plenty of baby animals for us to catch glimpses of.   It will be quiet and peaceful - isn't that how a vacation should be??!!

My legs are tired this week from all of the treadmill workouts.  I was complaining the other night as my workout just began.  Abby was cranking away on Wii Fit and Gina was on the couch doing spanish homework.  Again THAT is what I love - when we can all be together during a workout!  Anyways, my complaining was pitiful and I know better.  Gina looked up from her spanish and actually scolded me:  "When I feel that way before swimming I just tell myself it's gonna be a good workout.  I'll be happy I did it.  It always makes me feel better.  Now stop complaining Mom and repeat after me.........."   She went on to offer up her favorite mantras which I repeated like a dutiful mom.  Then I put my head down and started the workout in earnest.  Occasionally I looked up to watch her working hard on homework after a morning swim, school all day and then a 2.5 hour afternoon swim practice.  Abby was sweating away.  I sometimes wonder if anything I say sinks in - but after an evening like that I am pretty sure they are learning to love how it feels to be healthy and strong.