Sunday, January 31, 2010

I hop, you hop, we all hop for IHOP!

 Week in Review 1/24/10 - 1/30/10
Sunday:  45 minutes intervals on treadmill
Monday:  30 minutes yoga
Tuesday:  30 minutes yoga, 45 minutes intervals on treadmill
Wednesday:  30 minutes treadmill
Thursday:  60 minutes treadmill
Saturday:  60 minutes treadmill

Total Running:  24.7 miles

The week was unpredictable because of the flu germs that took down Gina and Abby.  I was sure I would end up with it myself so I was extremely careful about what I ate all week long.  By Friday I was ravenous and ended the night with a glass or two of California Merlot and an unknown amount of potato chips.  Saturday I had a huge headache and was convinced the flu was coming but all is still well.  I think I am out of the woods.  I was also exposed to huge amounts of respiratory flu germs.  I took a fair amount of Zicam zinc products and the usual probiotic.  I can only hope to remain healthy!  I've probably just jinxed myself though!

A few weeks ago someone got it in their head that we need to find an IHOP.  Those commercials can be soooooooo convincing and we do love breakfast food around here.  So today after a great church service we headed to the closest IHOP and had a great feast of waffles, pancakes, eggs, great coffee, hot cocoa and I even saw some bacon across the table.  I'm totally okay with an occasional splurge; it's all about balance.  It sort of felt like we were on vacation and soon enough we were planning what mountains we should hike this summer in the adirondacks.  We discussed what new equipment we will need now that we are venturing into some more challenging mountains.  We are pretty sure we will attempt Algonquin Mt this year which is the 2nd highest peak in NY.  Eventually we hope to climb all of the 46 peaks in NY that are over 4000 ft elevation and earn the right to call ourselves 46ers!  We have two down and 44 to go.......

Jerry and I ran outside this afternoon for a really nice 6 miles.  It was cold but sunny and it felt great to be outside.  We even saw two bluebirds!  While we were gone Abby climbed aboard the treadmill for 3 miles and officially started getting ready for track.  She is interested in the 4-mile Run for Life in May again!  We had a great time last year running together.   Gina was a bit wound up this afternoon so we fired up www.yogatoday.com for her and let her have at it.  She was surprised how quickly she broke a sweat.

My dinner plan was much better for the week.  We had acorn squash stuffed with couscous, craisins and walnuts; spaghetti casserole with soy crumble; cheese quesadillas and guacamole; scrambled eggs, waffles and soy sausage; chicken (soy) patty sandwiches with veggies; and talapia with couscous.   It was a lot of soy and usually I try to limit how much I eat because of my family history of breast cancer; however, I have read recently that it is actually good for teenage girls and there is evidence that it could help reduce BC risk later in life.  So I ate it in the casserole and the patty sandwich but passed on the sausage.

Morning swim practices are over so we can now resume sleeping until 5:30am instead of waking up at 4:50!  We are all happy about that one!