Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Seventeen Days

According to the news this morning, that's how many sunny days there have been in Cleveland since November 1.  The other 71 days have been cloudy.   I still wonder how I ended up here living in such gloomy conditions!  I'm generally a pretty positive person; I wonder what I would be like if I lived where it was sunny 71 days and cloudy 17.  I might be one of those really annoying happy-all-the-time people.......

Abby struggled with her flu symptoms for almost a week.  Poor girl.  She just kept saying that nothing sounded good to eat.  I'm not even sure she was eating chocolate which would indicate a serious decline in her health.  On Monday Gina called me at 2pm to say she had not felt well all day so she was not going to swim practice. About an hour passed before I was able to get home from work and she was in bed by then looking greenish gray.  I knew she was politely waiting for me.  I asked her if I could just please put on sweat pants and check my email.  That took about 10 more minutes.  We then proceeded together to the bathroom where all heck broke loose.  In our traditional throw-up protocol, I always apologize in advance for laughing and today was no exception.  I know I am a good good mom, but when it comes to puking I lose my mommy badge.  Gina has a puking style like no one I have ever seen or heard and it just downright makes me laugh every single time.  I won't go into anymore detail.  She pukes;  I laugh.  It's just one of those things.  With Abby I am dead serious, and I usually only know that she is sick when I hear the toilet flush in the middle of the night.

So with Gina in bed I couldn't really feel comfortable doing the treadmill in the basement.  What if she needed my comforting laughter again.  I decided to use www.yogatoday.com and do my yoga workout in the office, right next to her bedroom.  That was nice.  I only had to pause it once while she got sick and then I just resumed whatever pose I had stopped at.  This weeks free workout is great - its aimed at surfers and snowboarders - I am neither but I thoroughly enjoyed the shoulder and core focus.  Who doesn't need more of that? 

Jerry and I are hoping to bypass this round of the flu.  So far so good but a few more days are needed till we are completely out of the woods.