Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thoughts on 2010

To quote my husband, who quoted my neighbor:  If 2009 was the year of change, let's make 2010 the year of positive change.  2009 was simply crazy and unpredictable.  We refrained from making many plans due to the unstable nature of the economy, jobs and life in general.  Year 2010 is already showing some promise!  Jerry has registered for the Burning River 100 race at the very end of July.  Yesterday I registered for the Cleveland Half Marathon in May.  We will both enjoy training for our events - even if there is a difference of 87 miles between them!  I will then go on to focus on training for Columbus Marathon in October.  Even though I have completed 9 full marathons, I have only run 2 half marathons.  More on those some other day!

Gina is in full swing of her first high school swim season.  It has been a good experience for her to be on a school team rather than her large USA swim team.  She can be an integral member and contribute to earning points towards a team win rather than just improve her individual times.  Her times are holding steady.   Last week she completed a 5-mile swim practice to finish off the year.  Five miles in the time it would take me to run a marathon!

Abby is awaiting the start of track.  Any day now she will be climbing aboard the treadmill and getting herself ready for her first middle school track season.  We loved watching her run for cross country!  She has not run since the Turkey Trot race in November where she properly left me in the dust.  I could barely make out her little pink shorts up ahead but I could not have caught her if I had tried.  I am hoping to get a half marathon out of her in September but I will need to tread lightly and get to summer first.  With no relay option for us at Lake Placid this year, I just feel like a half marathon is the next logical step for her!

It feels good to have some goals in place.  It definitely makes working out more meaningful.