Thursday, January 21, 2010

Stress

It's the one part of our health routine we struggle with the most: STRESS!  It's an inevitable part of life for sure, but this family really struggles with how to handle it.  We pray, we try to exercise it out, we try to limit things that are known to raise one's heart rate on stressful days (which is why I have only had ONE cup of coffee so far today)!

But my heart seems to be racing already!  It's a big day here - the middle school spelling bee is tonight and abby is participating.  We are still baffled why the child who loathes attention and being in the spotlight tried out for the bee in the first place!  Maybe its because she is an excellent speller and does have a bit of a competitive edge.  As a mother, I not only carry around my own anxieties but I load the anxieties of my children onto my shoulders as well.  Heck, I even throw Jerry's on there too.

Today I will yoga breathe as much as humanely possible.  I might even do the little thing where you close off one nostril, breathe in, switch to closing the other nostril and breathe out!  I find that really soothing but I look like a bit of a weirdo.  Mindful breathing seems to be really helpful as I notice my heart rate dropping and a peaceful feeling takes over.

The other thing I will absolutely do on a stressful day like today is do a workout whatever it takes.  I should have just enough time to squeeze in a run outside after work but before the afternoon activities start up (cello lesson, dinner and then off to the bee).

The third thing I will do is visualize Abby having a great experience!  She will hopefully not notice me sitting quietly in the audience breathing through alternating nostrils!